Postdoctoral position is available at the Beijing Institute of Genomics (BIG), Chinese Academy of Sciences(CAS) funded by National Nature Science Foundation of China (NSFC). Initial appointment is for one year that could be extended for two and possibly more years based on research progress. The position will be available to commence January 1st, 2012.
BIG is one of the premier genomic research institutes in China. BIG is equipped with high throughput DNA sequencing (SOLID, IlluminaHiSeq 2000 and 370 sequencers), rapid genotyping, and high-performance computingplatforms. The position is in the group of Dr. WU Chung-I and the successful candidate will report to Dr. Alexander Tchourbanov directly.
The primary focus of the research will be on detecting and explaining the aberrant splicing events induced by common and de novo genetic variants. The research project will involve routine processing of high volumes of next generation sequencing data. Further data analysis based on probabilistic models will assess possible disease associations for discovered variants.
For consideration, applicants must:
· Have PhD in bioinformatics, statistics, computer science and other similar fields
· Have demonstrated experience in analysis of the next generation sequencing data
· Be experienced in with programming in Java, C/C++, Python, Perl or similar languages and be familiar with Linux OS
· Have peer-reviewed publications in high-quality international journals
Skills of additional interest include:
· Experience in statistics (including R) and probabilistic models/machine learning
· Experience with constitutive and alternative splicing
· Ability to program in Java and one of the scripting languages (bash)
· Familiarity with DBMS such as MySQL
The working language is English, thereforeexcellent speaking, reading and writing skills are required.For further information please contact Dr. Alexander Tchourbanov at email@example.com.
The application files in PDF format should be e-mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and carbon copied to email@example.com. The application package needs to include:
· Cover letter with brief statement of research interests
· Curriculum vitae
· List of publications
· University transcripts
· Contact details for 2 persons for references
The application will be evaluated by one or more experts. Only these candidates whose applications went through initial screen will be contacted with further instructions.